Rosebud Secondary College
A few years ago, our school had a strong sister school relationship with Rosebud Secondary College in Melbourne. The sister school relationship between our school and Rosebud is an arrangement that is valued very highly. Although our cultures and languages are very different, our two schools work closely together to reduce the distances between Australia and Malaysia. Together we strive to provide high quality education for our students, but as importantly, we provide a better understanding and appreciation of our two cultures. Exchanges like this are extremely beneficial in bringing people from both sides of the world together and do indeed show that people are the same everywhere..
ESTABLISHING THE SCHOOL
In 1943, as the result of a deputation from the people of Flinders Shire, the Minister of Public Instruction, Mr. T. Hollway, agreed that a multi-purpose school on the Mornington Peninsula was necessary, and inspected the present site in Boneo Road, which was thought to be the best position. Correspondence between the Shire Council and the Minister flowed back and forth for a year and a half until the Minister was requested to receive another deputation, but he stated that he could see no good purpose in receiving it, as the land for building had been’ acquired and the construction of the building was given a high priority in the post-war plans.
A year and a half later in November, 1946, it was discovered that the land had not been purchased at all. The new Minister, Mr. F. Field, looked into the matter as a result of urgent representations from the Shire, and the 15 acres of land in Boneo Road were purchased in February, 1947 for about £12 an acre. Serviced quarter acre blocks in the area now sell at around $10,000. The Shire Council pressed for the immediate construction of the building, but because of the need for consolidated schools throughout the State, including Red Hill, nothing could be done.
During the last two years of the long wait for a High School at Rosebud, Central Classes were established at Red Hill in February, 1952 in the old Red Hill State School, which was later efficiently and tastefully converted to the St. George’s Church of England.
There were two Forms 1, each with 40 pupils, and two teachers, Mr. Alexander Craig and Miss Winsome Gunter. At the end of term one, Miss Gunter was transferred to Merbein and Mrs. Mary Turner was appointed to teach Mathematics, Science, Geography, Art, Physical Education and girls’ sport. As Art was not Mrs. Turner’s forte, she received lessons from the Consolidated School’s Art teacher by means of brilliantly clever progressive models during a five minute bus journey each morning. Mr. Craig taught English, History, French, Physical Education and boys’ sport.
The two teachers took yard duty every day and teaching aids and amenities were virtually nil. The journey to the toilets, especially in the winter, down a slippery, muddy path, was hazardous in the extreme.
In 1953 the Central Classes were transferred to two rooms in the Consolidated School and Mr. Jack Prowse was appointed after Mr. Craig‟s transfer to a city school. The pupils now had the advantage of being taught Art and Music by specialist teachers in specialist rooms. There were again 80 pupils in Form 1 and these formed the major part of Form 2 at Rosebud High School when it opened on that day of pouring rain on February 4, 1954.
The 1952 Form 1 pupils, now reduced to 56, were transferred to Frankston High School, where as one form, they were accommodated for 1953. Those who weathered this experience formed the major part of Form 3 at Rosebud. They were a unique group because they remained the senior form of the school for the next four years. At the end of Form 5, many transferred to Frankston High School or to private schools in order to obtain personal teaching in their chosen Matriculation subjects. Mrs. Turner and Mr. Prowse had also transferred to Rosebud High School in 1954, and in 1957 Mrs. Turner found herself teacher in charge of a Sixth Form of five -Stephanie Burchett, Robyn Williams, Peter Hewitt, Peter Phillips and Peter Stewart, all of whom did their matriculation year by correspondence with two periods per week assistance from staff in each subject. All five students went on to tertiary studies. Peter Phillips was sadly killed in an aircraft accident some years ago.
The original 1952 group had a difficult time because of their constant seniority in the school -not an easy load to carry — but they managed well and helped in many ways — drama, music, sport, and scholarship–to give the school a sound start.
For more information, please visit this web site : http://www.rsc.vic.edu.au/